This tax strategy for the 2018 financial year has been published in compliance with Schedule 19, paragraph 19 of the Finance Act 2016.
1. The European Region of ASM Global (comprised of a group of companies including AEG Facilities (UK) Limited, SMG Europe Holdings Limited, SMG (UK) Limited and other associated companies) (“ASM Global” or “we”) will comply with our worldwide tax obligations and will only engage in reasonable tax planning that is aligned with commercial and economic activity. The European Region of ASM Global operating in the UK will follow the UK’s Double Taxation Treaties and relevant Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (“OECD”) guidelines for international tax matters.
2. We will maintain a professional and cooperative relationship with the tax authorities. This will include notifying HMRC of significant or complex transactions and responding to queries in a timely manner.
3. We will manage tax risk in such a way as to ensure key risk areas are monitored and material risks are minimized. This is achieved through appropriate system controls and levels of review by senior management, qualified finance professionals and/or external service providers for any significant transactions or tax reporting.
4. We will utilise tax incentives and opportunities for obtaining tax efficiencies where these are aligned with the intended policy objectives of the government which introduced the incentives and with our business and operational objectives. Management’s overriding principle is to conduct business on a sound commercial basis in line with our Code of Business Conduct and, in doing so, takes account of all relevant costs, including tax. To the extent it undertakes tax planning it is with this principle in mind, conducting transactions on an arms lengths basis and only in countries where ASM Global has commercial substance.
5. In order to keep tax risk low we will continue to maintain and assess our control environment for tax and review commercial decisions following our Code of Business Conduct. We will also continue to engage with third party service providers to provide us reasonable tax advice and compliance support in situations where there is reasonable uncertainty as to the application or interpretation of the tax laws.