The Playhouse, Whitley Bay is a 638 seat theatre and North Tyneside’s flagship venue, located on the glorious North East coast. The venue hosts approximately 300 events per year covering everything from community events to national touring shows including stand-up comedy, live music and a wide variety of entertainment events.
To act as the primary technical liaison for all entertainment and general events at the Playhouse, Whitley Bay.
To ensure high standards of technical services are provided for clients and patrons.
To be proficient in stage working operations – Lighting, Fly Systems, Fire Curtain, Stage Cues, Sound
To work closely with the General Manager and FM team to deliver effective venue maintenance, testing and monitoring.
To be aware of the Company Policy regarding Health & Safety and to ensure all clients and patrons observe the rules and regulations.
- To liaise with all hirers and promoters to provide technical resources including light and sound support for their particular event, ensuring at all times that the high standards expected at the venue are maintained.
- To devise and deliver effective induction techniques for all technical personnel.
- To ensure the administration and recharging of technical resources is accurately maintained.
- The ongoing maintenance of accurate staffing schedules in accordance with business requirements.
- Monitoring stock levels of consumable items and routine maintenance of technical equipment. To source and replace technical equipment when needed.
- To be a Key Holder for the building and assist with the emergency evacuation of the building when required.
- To maintain the safety of events and technical services provided.
- To provide day to day general maintenance and periodic testing of fire systems and emergency lighting.
- To manage the rostering of casual workers to cover technical requirements for events.
- Ensuring at all times compliance with Health & Safety regulations and to pursue any training requirements needed for specialist areas.
- To act as Duty Manager as per rota.
- To effectively liaise with other departments in order to fulfil business requirements.
- Any other duties assigned by the Line Manager.
Skills and Competencies required
- Proven track record of experience within a technical supervisory capacity.
- A working knowledge of Audio Visual equipment in an event context.
- A strong professional background in electrical systems, electronics and IT would be an advantage.
- Experience of successfully working to strict deadlines with the ability to effectively prioritise a range of tasks.
- The ability to effectively manage own and others time.
- A logical and systematic approach to problem solving.
- The ability to drive cost efficiency within the department.
- Mechanical Engineering skills would be desirable.
The requirements of the business are such that a high degree of flexibility is necessary and therefore some evening and weekend work will be required.