This post is responsible for the effective operation of York Barbican and the delivery of an efficient, safe and successful programme of events.
The post holder will be responsible for leading a team and through that team have responsibility for the operational planning and execution of events, and cost effective facility management.
- As a head of department, contribute to the venues’ strategic plans and objectives and proactively participate as a member of the Senior Management Team.
- Provide inspired leadership for the operations department through effective leadership and support with positive engagement to enable the effective planning and delivery of events and ensuring high levels of customer/client care and satisfaction.
- Assist with the development of, and deliver, the business plan by helping to optimise all revenue streams and maximising cost efficiencies.
- Implement and ensure compliance with all company, statutory, employment legislation, health & safety and legislative polices, standards and procedures.
- To oversee the planning of events ensuring operational risk are adequately controlled including implementing measures to ensure crowd and customer safety.
- To lead in the development and assist in the review and update of operational policies emergency procedures and risk assessments.
- Ensure the venue is maintained in a safe, clean and healthy working state.
- To support the Technical and Buildings Manager in maintaining and developing the facilities and installed systems in the venue, alongside the Estates Hub.
- Oversee the management and implementation of venue security, medical, and keyholding contract management.
- With the General Manager and the Venue Management Accountant, set and monitor budgets, ensuring the department’s ongoing financial viability.
- Manage constructive relationships, where relevant, with key stakeholders, contractors, clients, customers, and colleagues.
- Devise, implement and develop relevant and appropriate training for relevant staff.
- To be proactive in the development of the venues programme, ensuring that new events are managed effectively to secure ongoing business.
- To act as Duty Manager and contribute to the advancing of events as per rota.
- Any other relevant duties assigned by the General Manager.
- A demonstrated knowledge of event and building management, maintenance and custodial functions in various areas including: Security and Health & Safety.
- A strong Events Manager, with experience of management across a wide range of event and venue types.
- Smart appearance and presentation.
- Strong people management.
- A creative problem solver when there is no precedent/solution.
- Ability to manage several tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Excellent organisation and planning skills with the ability to work flexibly under pressure, to prioritise and to meet deadlines.
- Engage proactively with key stakeholders (internal and external) and ability to influence in a constructive manner.
- Examples of self-motivation and ability to work on own initiative.
- Drive, determination and resilience.
- Experience in the management of statutory requirements, and working within risk assessment frameworks.
- Experience of providing excellent customer care.
- Experience of working with staff at all levels throughout a company.
- Proven IT and AV experience.
The requirements of the business are such that a high degree of flexibility is necessary and therefore some evening and weekend work will be required. Additionally, there will be occasions where the Operations and Security Manager will be required to work at other venues operated by ASM Global